Monday 30 January 2012

Using Pen with Illustrations

I started developing the living machines idea I had based on my initial sketches. I began by doing an observational drawing of a kettle, then simplifying that drawing into a silhouette and finally recreating the image with pen to give a more solid sharper look. I found the use of pen to be good for creating more defined drawings but not so good at maintaining detail. However this could probably be solved by using a finer lined pen. The sharp contrasts between black and white remind me of the illustrations for Judge Dredd comics I looked at in my research.

This is another development of an initial sketch. Whilst I had fun creating this skeleton of a lorry I found that creating a pose was difficult as a lorry doesn't move that way and is actually much more rigid, adding limitations to the creative side of this idea. The problem becomes apparent when the silhouette,  that is supposed to be recognisable as the original object, becomes too obscure or not like the real thing. This may cause problems in developing this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment